The commission was established about 12years, in January, 2000. It has strived to entrench democracy at the grass roots.
To advance democracy at the grass root for rapid socio-economic development of every nook and cranny of Oyo State.
To conduct, organize and supervise all elections to Local Government Councils in Oyo State and to render such advice as it my consider necessary to the Independent National Electoral Commission on the compilation and registration of voters for the Local Government elections in the state.
- To conduct credible, free and fair Local Government elections.
- To minimize electoral litigations through credible, free, fair and generally acceptable elections.
- To reduce apathy of the people towards local government elections through public enlightenment and voters’ education.
- To conduct local government elections in a friendly environment devoid of harassment and molestation.
- To collaborate with the Independent National Electoral Commission in all matters related to elections for the advancement of democracy.