The Board was created on 27/5/94. And its major function is the management of basic education in the State.
To provide free, qualitative accessible education so much so that no child is left behind.
To work assiduously to address the key challenges posed by decay infrastructure and to provide conducive learning environment,instructional materials and expose teachers to regular in-service training.
- To provide free, universal basic education for every Nigerian citizen of school age.
- Developing in the entire citizenry, a strong consciousness for education and commitment to its vigorous promotion.
- Reducing drastically the incidence of drop-out from formal school system through improved relevance, quality and sufficiency.
- Ensuring the acquisition of appropriate level of literacy, numeracy,communication and life skills.
- Preserving and complementing the existing educational structure.