The Ministry Of Health is one of the oldest in the State established in 1957. The ministry is saddled with the responsibility of policy initiation and implementation on issues relating to the health and well being of the people of the State. Our major functions include: Planning Research & Statistics; Primary Health Care & Disease Control; Secondary Health Care & Training; Nursing Services; Pharmaceutical Services; Food, Water and Laboratory Services; Health and Hospital Monitoring. So far, we have been able to train about 1,325 health and non-health workers from the ministry; construct of six general hospitals, twelve 6-bed PHCs; renovate the Cholera Control Unit Jericho and State Cold Chain Store Jericho; sustain zero case incidence of guinea worm in the State[last case reported in Feb.2005] and so much more.
To provide a people-oriented and sustainable health care delivery system with a fundamental unique structure in functions and performance of health systems, involving all stakeholders [policies, legislation, institutional arrangement, organization, plans, programmes, research, projects, communities and households] in order to deliver quality, affordable, accessible and equitable health care services to the populace.
To make Primary Health Care [PHC] facility a “one stop” integrated service outlets for Maternal Mortality Reduction strategies [MMR]; Integrated Maternal Newborn and Child Health Intervention [IMNCHI]; Routine Immunization [RI] and prompt management of common ailments such as malaria and diarrhea.
- To improve health status and social-economic advancement of individual in the State using preventive and curative approaches.
- To establish more health institutions in under-served areas and expand existing health centers all over the State.
- To maintain existing training institutions for health workers in the State.
- To ensure that satisfactory standards are maintained in both government and private health institutions throughout the State.
- To provide essential infrastructure in all public health institutions in the State for efficient, qualitative, affordable and effective health services.
- To ensure adequate provision of essential drugs equipment and other materials for health care delivery services.
- To ensure good working environment and reduce occupational hazards in both public and private sectors.
- To undertake all the health activities and concerns of pilgrimages in and from Oyo State.
- To provide scientific investigation and analytical duties relevant to the safety and quality of food, water and water related items in the State.
- To monitor all medical, para-medical, administrative and support staff in Oyo State Hospitals; to ensure punctuality at work; regular attendance to duties and prompt attention to patients.