The Ministry evolved from Public Works Department in charge of the execution of Government projects to become a full-fledged Ministry, to also incorporate operation, planning and management of Government infrastructure. The operational departments under the ministry include Public Buildings, Highways, Mechanical & Electrical and the State Fires Service.
The Ministry is poised to remain a critical implementation organ for delivering essential public works, transportation infrastructure, provision and maintenance of mechanical and electrical installations throughout the State including safeguarding lives and property of the citizens through the provisions of firefighting services. Being a critical member of the infrastructure cluster, the success of the Ministry will create significant mileage for Oyo State Government and enhance public goodwill.
To provide adequate, safe and well maintained public works and transportation infrastructure and services such as Public Buildings state road network, Electro-Mechanical installations that support socio-economic transformation and development of the State while ensuring the safety and protection of lives and property of the citizens of Oyo State.
- Advising Government on policy matters in respect of road transportation including efficient well maintained road network, road safety measures , creation of motor parks, identification of other modes of transportation and traffic management with a view to providing an effective and efficient movement of goods and services that will enhance socio-economic growth throughout the State.
- Increasing awareness on road safety including organization of annual road safety campaign.
- Advising Government on policy matters in respect of public buildings including construction of new Public Buildings and maintenance of existing ones.
- Advising Government on policy matters in respect of procurement, installations and maintenance of mechanical and electrical appliances and gadgets throughout the State.
- Provision of firefighting services, equipment and qualitative training of personnel to combat outbreak of fire and other disasters to safeguard lives and property of its citizens including the creation of necessary awareness of dangers of fire outbreaks and other related hazards.